Saturday, January 24, 2009

Privacy

It doesn't exist. I am in a web cafe near FFC and am sharing my small booth (and I mean small) with 3 young boys who are just too interested in me to mind privacy at all. They are staring at the screen, watching everything I type. Other, older boys stick their heads over the wall to see what I'm doing. It's all very India.

Well I made it. It was a long trip... 11 hours to Korea (1 hour at the airport there where everyone deplanes, goes through security, and re-boards), 6 hours to Singapore, 20 hours in Singapore, and then 4 hours to Coimbatore. We arrived at around 11:30 at night. Sarah managed to whip through security, but they were more interested in me - or rather my bags. One of them had the letter D chalked on it which means "doubtful". I had to open the bag and answer a few questions. They seemed to think that I had my bags stuffed with gold jewelry. They were disappointed to see diapers, children's clothes, toys, and craft supplies. Needless to say, they waved me on. (The boys have gotten bored of not being able to read my blog and have moved on to someone else's stall).

The guest house has been revamped; bedrooms where the bathroom used to be and bathrooms where the kitchen used to be. An extension has been added and a kitchen installed there.

I am currently sharing the house with 2 other volunteers. Katie, a tireless lovely young lady from Nebraska, and Barbara, a homeopathic clinician from Nelson, BC. They are both wonderfully enthusiastic and I am really enjoying their company. My room is inbetween theirs so I have to go through one or the other to get out. Our rooms are separated by curtains.

Privacy at it's best.

I felt a bit out of place when I arrived. Mostly just missing Hoto I suppose. But after a few days passed, I am feeling more comfortable. The children are wonderful. It's fantastic to see how much progress some have made and sad to see so many new faces.

My sweet Malathy (my sponsor child) is doing well. With the help of a physio-therapist and an operation, she is up walking with assistance. Her mental capacity is limited though, so one day she will be moved from the big baby room to special care.

For those new to FFC, there are a number of "projects" or houses spread out over 4 properties. Special care is where the mentally challenged children and adults are along with our extra special care cases. The guest house shares space with small boys house and Sofie's house where the more capable mentally handicapped residents are along with some physically challenged kids. I was amazed and so pleased to see Muthulakshmi this visit. She was in the toddler room 5 years ago and took her first steps then (she has CP). Now, she is very mobile and communicates quite well verbally (with a bit of signing to help). She even has a bit of English!

Today is mostly a rest day and tomorrow is Republic day. There will be an official flag raising and all of the children will attend the celebrations, each showcasing their area (singing, dancing, karate demonstrations, etc). I am looking forward to sharing in the fun.

Love to everyone. And sorry for the typos - my keyboard is ... well.... it is what it is.

3 comments:

Sparx said...

Hey shell, not so sure you'll get to read comments at all but wanted to leave you one to say how pleased I am that you're there and safe and that the place is doing well - love you very much!xS

Unknown said...

So glad you are safely there, sounds like quite a journey. We are thinking lots about you and have been getting updates from Hoto as well. Sounds like you are picking up right where you left off. Mom was pleased to hear her girl is a bit of a hell raiser. Enjoy the heat as it is still bitter cold here, love to you, Diane

Nina said...

A long journey it is to get to the other side of the continent. A totally different world but truly a real life experience. Andy and I are glad you're safe and adapting well. Take care.