Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Earning My Keep

Whew, what a day. After scrubbing our house from top to bottom last night with one of my roomies (and sweating like I'd just run 10 km) I didn't think I'd have any manual labour for a while. I was wrong though.

We have a room in the office building where we keep the community donations. Like many things here it was crammed full and extremely unorganized. So all of the visitors to the orphanage along with about 10 staff members and a couple of kids put in about 9 hours cleaning it up. We emptied first, cleaned it and then spent about 5 hours sorting everything and putting back what was useable. It was mind numbing, physcially demanding work. I again looked and felt like I had run about 10 km - face red, hair and clothes soaked with sweat and covered in dust, cobwebs, dirt and bug and mouse droppings.... yum..... I'm quite a treat right now as I came directly to the web cafe after leaving site.

But it is rewarding to see a job completed - so I'm satisfied with my work today.

2 comments:

Mum said...

Hi darling: Have been reading your blogs and sent at least one e-mail but am not sure if you get them, so here goes with a comment. How does one comment on a plague of cobras, enormous cockroaches, aggressive ducks and dogs, gekoes - well they sound okay, but I'd be rolled up in a corner with a sheet over my head. Bless you love, for your love and caring and coping and working so hard. I hope that you are spending a little time caring for yourself, that's important too. At least the food is good, that is a blessing. Got more to say so will try an e-mail again. Love you very much, Mum

Sparx said...

Wow Shell... looks like they're getting some value out of you!