Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I don't like spiders and snakes....


Or cockroaches. I really don't like cockroaches. We have a number of them here about the length of my baby finger and twice the width. When I say "here" I mean residing in our guest house. I'm ok with them as long as they don't run at me which they only do when threatened in some way (it's their defense mechanism - just like the 20 or so geckos in our rooms make the loud shrilling/clicking sound to ward off their enemies). I take my "shower" in the morning and keep a close eye on the 3 that live behind the door in one of the bathrooms. Shower being a relative term. We use a big bucket that we fill with water and with the use of a small jug to pour over myself, I have a "shower".

Of course cockroaches don't bite so that's good.... unlike the snakes and the dogs. There has been quite a problem with snakes (cobras and vipers mostly although as Sarah says "there are no nice snakes in India - they are all deadly poisonous) recently as Podanur grows and buildings go up, the snakes have no where to go so we see them more. Some months back they had a cobra come up out of the toilet in the office bathroom. No one used that loo for awhile. And there is a large tree near the office that has a number of holes in it. Cobras have nested in there (because that's where the rats are) and recently they had to call in the snake catcher as the kids saw a snake up in the tree. I guess it was a bit Elmer Fuddish as he covered up one hole and then sprayed some sort of concoction in another. The snake came out a third hole and bit him on the ass - literally. When he grabbed the snake by the tail, it whipped up and bit him on arm as well. He still managed to get the cobra into a bag and climb down the tree though, before collapsing in heap. Needless to say, he went off to the hospital.

I haven't seen any snakes yet for which I am most thankful. I was a bit nervous walking home in the dark last night after talking to Hoto as our driveway is long, dark and sides with an open field - perfect snake space. But it doesn't bother me too much.

The dogs can be aggressive and there are loads of them. But as long as you don't approach them or "look them in the eye" they seem to mind their own business. And the free roaming goats don't bother me although I might turn and run if one charged me.

The crazy traffic can be somewhat startling and I know Hoto would have a fit if he saw how close the motorcycles, cars, buses, and big trucks come to the pedestrians (including me). But that doesn't bother me too much either. It's just the way of things.

What I'm really afraid of? The ducks. The ducks near the office are incredibly mean. They hiss, they chase, they bite.... horrible things. I'm not sure why we have them... they're meant to be for the kids but no one can get near them.... I saw them out on the road near the office today and they actually chased away 2 dogs. I gave them a wide berth but they still hissed at me.

I'd take a cockroach over a duck any day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"the snake catcher" I think that really sums alot up.