Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Strikes and Snakes

Well, another first.... my first Indian snake - in the flesh, so to speak. We had all retired for the night when there was a big commotion outside with the word "snake" said in high, excited voices. I donned my glasses and pj bottoms (it's too hot to sleep in anything but a t-shirt) and went to investigate. All of my other housemates were up and standing around the front door to the guest house while one particularly excitable one was providing all kinds of advice to the boys outside. I learned that a snake had been spotted at Sophie's house, one of the houses on our property (near the guest house I stay at), and some of the big boys had been called over to deal with it. One of our male volunteers came along and they had "stunned" the snake and were happily showing it off to us. It was still alive and still curling its tail and squirming.... Sarah thought it was a viper but I guess vipers are green and this one was brown so we're not sure just what kind it was. But given that all snakes in India are poisonous, it seemed prudent to keep my distance. Don't worry Hoto, I did not take a photo although some of the other ladies did. They boys went on their way, happy with the evening's events and taking the snake with them in a plastic grocery bag. It was unclear what was going to happen to it. They don't like to kill snakes in India. I have to admit, it was a bit hard to get to sleep after that - wondering what might come calling (or crawling) in our own quarters....

Have I mentioned that my head is itchy?

We had another new boy dropped off today. His grandmother brought him and it was obviously a very difficult decision for her. As I understand it, the boy's parents had deserted him after he was born. He had polio and is mentally challenged. The grandmother was crying at the thought of being parted from him, but also realized that she was having a lot of trouble caring for him on her own - financially and phsyically. It was very sad. It really makes you realize that the decision to let a child go must be agonizing for parents (or grandparents) - in the end most of them want what's best for their children and sometimes that means leaving them with us.

Dinner tonight was cancelled as our driver strongly recommended that we not attempt to go in to Coimbatore as demonstrators had blocked the roads. Most of the shops were closed today as well. I don't believe it will affect my trip home at all as it should all be finished with by tomorrow (Thursday) and I am not flying out until late Friday night/early Saturday morning.

Tomorrow and Friday I will spend with the preschool, kindergarden, and FFC school children and then make some recommendations to the Director; mostly to do with hygiene and behaviour management. And of course try to encourage more outdoor playtime. The ayahs just don't want to give the little ones any outdoor exercise - it's no wonder they have a tough time getting them to sleep at night.

Love to everyone and again my thanks for your encouraging comments - they keep me going.

6 comments:

Hoto said...

Euurargh-aaaaaaaargh-wubbawubbawubbawubbawubba
wubbawubbawubbawubbawubba
wubbawubbawubbawubbawubba
wubbawubbawubbawubbawubba
wubba-eeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaarrrgh.
[Shud-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-der]

That sent my spine into paroxysms.

Mum said...

Do hope that you have no problems tomorrow, or any more snake episodes. My mother was terrified of them and I picked up most of her terror. Luckily Dad came back from the war and rid me of many of them - he found garter snakes in the garden and fields and showed me how to handle them and I found out how lovely and silky they feeland I love their sharp herbal smell. He also taught me to beware of vipers ane how to pick them up, which I have conveniently forgotten!

Look forward to seeing you, love Mum

Unknown said...

Do I even need to comment on that story??? Come home soon please. Spa day is booked for you already.

Rhea Simpson said...

Shell, I have been reading your blogs and it has really touched my heart! I can't wait to see you in Van. Please come back safely!
love ya

Unknown said...

Have a safe trip home Shelley!

Sparx said...

Shell - wow, how cool is that? Glad they didn't kill it.

But hey.... POOCHIES!!!!!!!

I think you should bring Hoto back some sort of stuffed snake souvenir. I've not seen a big live one meself but the local cobra left some veeeery long snake poo outside my bedroom cabin door when I was in Cape Town and I found an absolutely mammoth one dead by the road one day - I took a patch of snake skin off it, shame I don't have it as I'm certain it would make a lovely set of cuff links for your hubby.

Good luck with the protests, I hope this doesn't affect your journey home. Do you need passports for all those poochies?

Just asking.

xxxxx