Friday, February 06, 2009

Singapore

Landed safely at the Singapore Airport and am waiting for my flight to Vancouver via Korea.

As a last minute task, I decided to splurge and buy one of the big boys a bicycle last night (Johnny, I knew you'd approve). Gopi has a pronounced limp and I thought the bike might make it easier for him to get to school and also provide some great exercise for his legs. One of the staff went to buy it for me and it was just what I'd pictured for him.... not exactly a high end bike, but definitely nicer than most I saw around Podanur - it's candy apple red. He was very excited about it and although he doesn't ride much, he has been learning on some of the other boys' bikes. He was just really, really pleased; all smiles and thank-yous. I'm glad I spent the 3000 rupees....



The ride to the airport was the same hair raising adventure any trip in the FFC van is - the roads in Podanur and Coimbatore are filled with massive craters (also known as potholes) and these are separated by speed bumps every 500 metres or so. The van is 15 years old now and I can't believe it's lasted as long as it has. It seats 12 comfortably, but I'm told that for one event (a staff wedding), they managed to fit in 32 other staff members and volunteers. What I love the most however, is that there is only one handle to raise or lower the windows so you have to share it around.... Of course the traffic is crazy with everyone driving where ever they can find space, dodging dogs and people.

My porter at the airport was extremely helpful. He not only got my bags out of the van but loaded them onto a luggage cart, led me through the terminal, telling me what documents I'd need for each of the 7 check points, helped me through security, transfered my blow drier to my checked bags (they wouldn't let me carry it on the plane), showed me where to check in, informed me what time immigration would open and showed me to the waiting area - it couldn't have been easier.

Looking forward to being home. I'll post photos on my FaceBook page and send out a photo link to everyone. Thanks again for your kind comments and warm thoughts.

2 comments:

shadechaser said...

Yay Shelley. You're probably home by the time of this comment, or pretty close to it.

Great blog, can't wait to see the pics.

xo

Mez

Hoto said...

That's a really fast machine...