Monday, February 09, 2009

Safely Home

Well, I managed to make it home in one piece. Hoto and I calculated that I had been up for about 53 hours by the time I hit the pillow on Saturday night. I woke up Sunday morning with a bit of a cold (or possibly a combination of jet lag and allergies) and that dizzy, spacey feeling that jet lag causes. We just kinda hung out for the day and I went to bed pretty early last night.

I stepped on the scales this morning, curious to see the results of my high carb diet in India combined with loads of walking and sweating in the hot sun. I don't eat meat in India so it was entirely vegetarian for me. We would eat a bit of fruit in the morning when we first got up and then have breakfast at the cantine around 0900 or 1000 hrs. Breakfast was usually some sort of bread type product (chappathi, dosai, porata - spelling? or poori - deep fried chappathi), sambar and coconut chutney along with a plain omlette if we wanted. I ate lunch around 1400 hours and this consisted of rice, sambar or masala, an additional spicey veggie dish made from okra or carrots or cabbage, and papadums. We had "fries" a couple of times at lunch too which were really, really tasty. We rarely had dinner because we ate lunch so late so I usually just snacked in the evening on fruit bars that I had brought from Canada along with some local biscuits and banana chips.

At any rate, the scales are telling me that I am down some 10 lbs or so... which I'm not sure is entirely accurate since we had to replace the battery on the scale - Hoto says it seems to be weighing light for him too. I certainly don't feel any lighter and my clothes aren't fitting any differently. The main reason I am somewhat preoccupied with my weight is due to the most common comment I had in India, which was "Auntie, you have much fat"....

In general, the Indian people are quite honest. They don't mean to be insulting, they simply state the facts. And the fact is, I am quite a bit more rotund than I was 5 years ago when I visited FFC and no one hesitated to tell me that. Laughing and smiling they would say, "Auntie, 5 years past you were thin and now you have much fat", or "Hahahaha... I don't know you as you have much fat now"....

I had cream of wheat and tea for breakfast this morning. Let's hope the scale heads in a downward direction as I start training for another mini-triathlon... Ideally, the next time I visit, my friends at FFC will worry about how thin I am and want to fatten me up...

Yes... I did say "next time"....

No comments: