Friday, July 03, 2009

Summer Holidays

As a kid, I loved summer holidays. I loved the freedom of going barefoot and wearing nothing but but my swim suit for 2 months. Except on the Princeton Racing Days parade day... then I also wore my cowgirl hat.

We have just had a lovely BC summer holiday; a week on Okanagan Lake, a little outside of Naramata. A perfect lakeshore house with good friends and brilliant sunshine. Hoto had some great wake boarding on unbelievably still, early morning waters and I recharged my solar batteries laying on the deck and paddling around the cold lake on my air mattress. We ate too many barbequed burgers and drank too many bellinis. My skin is summer brown and my eyelashes are almost blond. The holiday was really, really lovely.

We drove home via Princeton and as I gazed out the window at the Similkameen River, I was happy all over again that as a child I tubed and swam in a small town river and ran barefoot with my brothers, cousins, and friends. Those experiences make the simple, quiet summer holidays that much more relaxing and somehow, that much more comforting.

And today we went to the beach in our backyard - which was pretty spectacular too.

No comments: